June 2009

Still almost monthly!
mardler
Site Admin

June 2009

Post by mardler »

Greetings, fellow seekers for the truth. Like many of you I have other interests which I also pursue in the summer months, in my case sailing on the Norfolk Broads. So although we don’t have that much new data added to the site in the past month , we did pass a milestone, we do have some excellent new material to past online, which is now on my to-do list, and I have filled in quite a few cracks. More below:

The milestone: our 100th member
Our 100th member, MJD, lives in Norfolk, England, and is interested in two other clans with deep Norfolk roots: the Dacks and the Yallops. His daughter started investigating her mother’s ancestors. She soon discovered that her great grand-mother was also a Yallop!

It was while investigating this Yallop line that he arrived at HowesFamilies.com and found that the marriage cert online for Harriett Howes and Frederick Yallop referred to his daughter’s 2x Gt Grandmother. MJD even found from tracking back through that particular family that he had been related to his ex-wife! MJD has recently concluded that 'everyone born in Norfolk must be related to a Yallop or a Dack somewhere in the past'. I suggested that if he included Howes in his list, he would be sure to be accurate!

Some excellent new material
I have received:
a biography of Henry Howes of Catfield, Norwich and Utah from Cheryl
a collection of material concerning General Frederick Augustus Howes from his grandson, Robin
a copy of a notebook made by the father of my cousin Ian about a week spent on holiday (vacation) in the 1930s
Many thanks to all three of them. All three provide fascinating insights to social history of our forebears and it’s my intention to publish all of that material on the website at some point in the next few weeks and months. Do you have some anecdotes or materials on an interesting Howes that you would like to share with a wider audience?

Filling in cracks
As a former transcriber for FreeReg (www.freereg.org.uk) I am astounded at how well the site has grown, particularly for Norfolk. (If you would like help transcribe, go here: www.freereg.org.uk/volunteers/index.htm.) Using the terrific Norfolk data, I have been working gradually back through FreeReg from 1900 capturing baptism and marriage information, starting with Norfolk, just as I did with the original census information. Such a process is enabling me to connect up family groups I already have in the database from census information, for instance.

And as a member of the Guild of One-Name Studies (GOONS – www.one-name.org) I am able to access data from the Guild’s “marriage challenges”, incredible work by volunteers who transcribe all marriage certificates in respect of almost all marriages in a particular registration district between 1837 and 1911. So far, I’ve received several challenge results, for example for . What I do with each and every one is to find the family it refers to and work forwards and backwards to link it to information I already have. I am currently working on 40 marriage details from King’s Norton district near Birmingham, England.

Thank you all for your continuing support.
Paul