Going round the HOWSes - May 2017

mardler
Site Admin

Going round the HOWSes - May 2017

Post by mardler »

Hello folks. We added another 800 people this month to finish just shy of 122,000.

Free DNA test? Do you have Oxfordshire ancestry?
We have Howes, Howse and House families from Oxfordshire in our database. Earlier this month, I saw the following note from the Oxfordshire Family History Society. "Oxfordshire Family History Society (OFHS) has started a new Oxfordshire surnames research project, examining surnames recorded in Oxfordshire parish registers from 1538 onwards, currently estimated at up to 20,000 key variants. The team is also using many other early recorded sources to build a comprehensive database of Oxfordshire surnames. The aim is to trace their whereabouts in different parishes over time, their origins, hotspots, DNA connections and many other facets of Oxfordshire surnames. The project will take about 2 years to complete.

The project team is appealing for help from those who have a good recorded family history in Oxfordshire or who manage a one-name study. They are welcome to contact the team with a brief description and their
contact details, so that when their surname is analysed they may be able to participate in submitting content for that name. All significant contributors will be acknowledged.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd like to encourage one-name researchers with Oxfordshire links to be involved with this project -

# At this stage the team want just a interest in being involved - so please send your contact details, name of interest, and place(s) in Oxfordshire where you have records of the name's occurrence, to the team leader Sue Honore via surname-project@ofhs.org.uk.

# Later, you will be asked for more detail, tied to place - so wills, and newspaper records, for instance - or, perhaps, sources such as gamekeeper licences - would all be of interest.

# It is anticipated that the analysis will be published as a book, with a page or so on the occurrence and detail of each name, and lots of maps, and with some information also made available on the OFHS website, in the members' section.

Do consider joining the project!" There is a draw for those with Oxfordshire ancestry for a yDNA test if you have males in your line going back 150 years or so in the county. To learn more, go to: http://news.ofhs.org.uk/2017/03/27/oxfo ... e-project/

Another sporting Howes
You have to start somewhere! Notts County is an English professional football (soccer) team with an illustrious history but which currently languishes toward the basement of professional teams. An Alex Howes just had his first start in a game for them just before the end of the season. Read more about his game here: http://www.nottinghampost.com/alex-howe ... story.html Does anyone know this man?

Other sporting Howeses in the news this coming month may well be:
- the other, cycling Alex Howes, who starts in the Tour de France on July 1,
- Sam Howes, a goalkeeper who previously played for West Ham in the Premier League and who may get a transfer to Birmingham if the rumours are true
- I read somewhere too of a young cricketer from New Zealand who has just obtained his first professional job in England, but I failed to make a note of his name and cannot remember anything about him. Ooops! Sorry. Was it a Peter Howes from Nelson in NZ?

Thanks and a request
I'd just like to acknowledge the help of Ken Howes, who sent in over a dozen BMD certificates, and an extensively researched tree, which I am still working through, adding significant bits to our file. Working together, we are making his research even better, I think. Ever since we have started this site, I've found two major things about researching our names:
1) four eyes are always better than two - there are always different ways of looking at a problem
2) nobody goes the extra mile to research their tree like a person in it!

We're at a point again where my list of certificates to be purchased has grown to a point where I need to buy some more to connect up families. I am willing to buy 25 but there are significantly more than that in the list. Would you be prepared to help with the cost, please? Send me a note to paul@howesfamilies.com. I can accept donations in US$ or Pounds Sterling via paypal or bank transfer/check/cheque. Thanks in advance if you can help.

All the best for a productive summer (or winter if you are "down under"). My weekends are largely spent yachting. This coming weekend is the Three Rivers Race run over 55 miles on Norfolk rivers, starting at my local sailing club. Wish me luck!

If by any chance you are in Norfolk, come watch the action at Potter Heigham bridge from about 12:30pm. Here's a great picture of my boat going through last year:
13403801_1315478008467629_7189485089125066425_o.jpg
13403801_1315478008467629_7189485089125066425_o.jpg (97.39 KiB) Viewed 1666 times