September 2013 - Howes it going?

Monthly updates
mardler
Site Admin

September 2013 - Howes it going?

Post by mardler »

Happy new month, truthseekers. I want to give a big thank you to a few key people who have come up trumps to help us big time this month:
- to Mike HOWES, Patrick CUNNINGHAM and Eleanor HART who've all added major updates to information they've previously shared. We're still going through their extensive material!
- to Mike TWINN, who has started fixing all those broken weblinks for pictures, images and so on with especially bright spirits given that he didn't mess them up! We have already fixed all the photographs and are now working on certificates and links to places, like church of marriage or baptism.
Thanks to you and others too. My cousin, Ian, and I have said from the very beginning that we could not do this on our own. Your contributions prove it!

Another origin for our name
We have talked before too about our 7-syllable surname: H-O-dou-ble-U-S E (vary last two letters as appropriate). I still chuckle at that one. There's another surname which has a similar problem: HAWES.
Turns out that this surname is also one of the sources for ours, if only minor. Correspondent Brian HARGRAVE pointed out earlier this month that his relative Levi Hawes was forced to change his surname by his wife, Jessie Moulton. She didn't like the name Hawes as it sounded too much like "whores" so she insisted he change it to Howes!

Unusual Howes people
An article in yesterday's UK Daily Mail praises a man named Matt Howes from my own home town of Norwich. Matt lost an arm in a car accident in Crete two years ago but despite that has pursued his dream of becoming a DJ, and succeeded at it. The article (here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... bbers.html) says he is 25 years old and even gives his mother's name, but we cannot place him in a Howes family. Can anyone help?

Florence Nightingale
Florence Nightingale was the driver of much of modern nursing practice during her time in field hospitals in the Crimean War but she was far from alone. Many women served with her. One in particular was named (Mrs) Charlotte Howes. Does anyone know anything about her? We have had a volunteer to look for details concerning her at the British National Archives in Kew, just outside London. If he finds anything, we'll let you know.

For the record
We added 472 people during September and now have 78,271 people in our database. 80,000 here we come!