May 2013 - Howes it going?

Monthly updates
mardler
Site Admin

May 2013 - Howes it going?

Post by mardler »

Hello everyone. Month end again. They pass so quickly, especially when you're having fun.

Not free, but . .
If you have an Ancestry subscription (or access to a library which has one) and ancestors from Surrey or South London, you might like to note that yesterday, Ancestry added a large collection of parish registers to its online databases for that area. Ancestry already has similar records online for Dorset, Manchester, Liverpool, Warwickshire, West Yorkshire and London. I understand Oxfordshire is coming soon. When will I get time to work through them all?!

Enhancing your old photographs
Howes descendant, Karen Leah has asked me to extend an offer to all members. Her hobby is digitally enhancing old photographs. If you are interested in using her services, please let me know and I will pass her email address on.

World War 1
Next year is the centenary of the start of WW1 and we are considering how to mark it. Does anyone have any interesting stories involving Howes/Howse/House/Hows relatives who served?
Judith and Chris Jordan are generously continuing their work on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website, identifying soldiers named Howes/etc who died for their country. They've identified well over half of them so far, but we'd like to do more.
To see a roll call of the fallen we've identified, and some of their family members, click on:
http://howesfamilies.com/showsource.php ... ee=Onename

Can you help
Judith and her husband enjoy solving problems (they tell me!). Given the often limited information about deceased soldiers, they try to identify the person and trace their ancestry to link them to someone already on our site.
There are many other similar online databases of information, not necessarily military. Might you be interested in working a similar process? If so, please do get in touch.
Another aspect where you might be able to help: do you have a website where you could set up a link to our site? That would help increase our search engine ranking. We are happy to do the reverse for Howes/etc businesses as we have here:
http://howesfamilies.com/histories/feature5.php

Paul Howes facebook page
Another Paul Howes decided to set up an FB page for those of us with this special name! It's here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/43858281099/. The group now has twelve members. Do you know a Paul Howes? Send him on over!

Norwich sanitation department records
I've mentioned this unique set of records before. I've recently spent a few days at the Norfolk Record Office transcribing birth information for those Howeses and Houses born in Norwich. I now have only years 1956-1961 to go, after which I will transcribe deaths in reverse order. As a result I expect much of my previous work to become visible as I find confirmation of people's deaths. So far, I've found the equivalent of almost 1,000 birth certificates, thus saving nearly £10,000 in certificate fees. Even I am amazed! If your family's from Norwich and you want any exact dates of birth, do get in touch.

For the record
As of just now, we have 554,000+ facts for 76,241 people in our database, over 13,000 of whom are hidden because of our 100-year rule. 760 people have signed up for these monthly emails.

Thank you for your continued support.
Paul
Ivan Murray

Re: May 2013 - Howes it going?

Post by Ivan Murray »

Hi Paul

Re: the work being done by Judth and Chris Jordan to identify the Howes etc who died fo their country during WW1. I have done some initial work to identify Australians in this group who died at Gallipoli and on the western front during WW1. Unfortunately we have around 20 Australian Howes etc who died. I'm happy to do some work with/for Judith & Chris to record/pull this information together. I can be contacted on ozhowes@hotmail.com

regards

Ivan Murray
Melbourne, Australia
mardler
Site Admin

Re: May 2013 - Howes it going?

Post by mardler »

Ivan, thank you very much for your offer. Judith has told me that she will get in touch with you - maybe has already!
Terrific.
Paul