September 2011 - Hows that?

mardler
Site Admin

September 2011 - Hows that?

Post by mardler »

Happy new month, everyone. Here at Howes Central (or is that Central House?!) we've been busy. We added 1,000 individuals, including two large trees sent to us by correspondents to which we have added census records and additional Howes descendents.

If you haven't sent us details of your ancestry, please consider doing so. Even if you don't actually know a lot, send in what you have and we'll try to work it backward with you. Mail to paul@howesfamilies.com.

Three times this month, too, we have connected two pairs of descendents from a common Howes ancestor whose families had lost touch. One of the goals for this site when we started it was to bring people named Howes together and it's a real pleasure to be able to offer this service.

We've also updated a couple of web pages and added a new one: Go down to the foot of this last page and you will see a photograph we received from a correspondent visiting the UK. It is quite interesting, because it actually “documents” a change in spelling from Howse to Howes and gives us a time frame when it happened. (By the way, can anyone tell us whether this family connects to anyone else already in our database? We haven't found a connection yet)

And we have a new volunteer, who is poring through the Commonwealth War Graves Website (http://www.cwgc.org) to try to establish the ancestry of the many Howes people who died for their countries in both world wars. She tells me that the first fruits will be emerging over the next few weeks. Is there a website that you could look through for us?

Continuing our occasional theme too of adding more biographical detail on a particular ancestor, another correspondent sent us a couple of newspaper articles describing his successful quest to obtain a war service medal for his mother's adopted father (Thomas Arthur House) who was a fireman in Erith in Kent and died in a bomb blast in 1940. The articles give a lot of interesting background on the man who had previously served his country and volunteered again. You can see the whole story here: http://www.howesfamilies.com/getperson. ... nID=I45138 .

Finally, we obtained a little publicity for the site this month from Tom Wood, who writes a Genealogical Miscellany column for Family Tree Magazine in the UK. I've reproduced the text below.

Thank you for your continued support.
Paul

EACH AN ELIZABETH SMITH
"Now, how about this for a very different record? It arrived from Paul Howes, who tells me that in one of the families in his massive one-name study of Howes and its variants online, he has a grandfather, a father and a son, who each marrried a wife with exactly the same name. I could hardly believe it, but just for the record these are the details:
"In 1795 William Howes (1760-1847) married Elizabeth Smith (1781-1815) in Somerleyton in Suffolk.
"Their son Charles Howes (1804-1879) then married another Elizabeth Smith (1813-1862) at Lound in Suffolk in 1836.
"And their son, William's grandson, Charles Howes (1843-1929) married yet another Elizabeth Smith (1836-1908) in Suffolk in 1869.

"Just to cap it off, Paul also tells me that grandfather William Howes had another son, James Howes, who married an Eliza Smith! He believes no-one will better these and I'm inclined to agree!"
Family Tree Magazine – October 2011