April 2011 - House that?

mardler
Site Admin

April 2011 - House that?

Post by mardler »

Happy new month, everyone. We've continued to make substantial progress on our database, with files sent to us in the past month for House, Howse and Howes families. Thank you to those who sent them in. We've now just reached 39,000 people in the database. Although coverage is far from complete even for the UK, we are increasingly seeing that when we add new people or find a new fact, it's relatively easy to connect them to someone else already there.

With the word “marriage” appearing in the news quite frequently in the past few days, it's also worth noting that during the month, we blew right through 10,000 marriages in our database too, thanks in no small part to the good people of the Guild of One-Name Studies, who continue to mine the details of marriages across the UK, and occasionally beyond, for their members.

External news
I went to the Guild's annual conference two weeks ago. It was very enjoyable and I got to meet Dick Eastman, who writes a daily column on genealogy from the US and is himself a Howes descendent! In case anyone reading this might be interested in Dick's report on the conference, you can read it here:
http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_ge ... udies.html
The conference is open to all and if you are anywhere near Malden in Essex next April, I encourage you to consider attending.

Second, in case you have ancestors from Liverpool and perhaps even from Ireland, you might like to know that Ancestry has just today put online a large chunk of Liverpool parish registers (catholic and protestant) as it has in the past from London. Worth checking out at:
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/dynamic/liver ... D=1793701#

Anyone with Howes ancestors from King's Cliffe in Northamptonshire, England might like to note that the village website has just gone online in the past few days at http://www.kingscliffeheritage.org.

A plea for more volunteers
Although we continue to make incredible progress on our master file, I am concerned that we aren't being as collaborative and involving as we could. There are many jobs that need to be done and we could sure use more pairs of hands! Jobs vary considerably in size from tiny to huge. Most important to note is that nothing is urgent: our ancestors aren't going anywhere!

If you can spare a few hours to work through an online database, or a parish register, find the people named House/Hows/Howes or Howse, and join them into family groups, that would be terrific. Cheryl from Utah has just done this for the village of Ludham in Norfolk, and I am very grateful. How about those people outside the UK? Would you take on a batch of records for your local area? Do you have a particular interest, say in military history? How about going through the military records available online and extracting information for us?

If you have time for a bigger and continuing job, how about managing photographs for people with our name and publishing these on the website with the details of the person, just as we do now for certificates? Many people have asked whether we can do this, but I personally do not have the time needed. If we could find someone to take this job on, I will fund the extra online storage space needed. You don't need much other than plenty of time and access to the internet. I'll train you in the few minor technical details you need.

What say you? Thanks in advance if you can help.
Ivan Murray

Plea for volunteers

Post by Ivan Murray »

Hi Paul

There is a vast number of resources available in Australia where I am happy to do some work on. Keeping in mind, as you say, our Ancestors aren't going anywhere in a hurry. The Australian National Archives has a database on which I have done a couple of quick searches. From these searches I have found over 1000 entries for the names Howes/Howse & House. The information includes military (which include DOB & Place of Birth,NOK), Assisted Migration to Australia records and a range of other records. There are also our electoral roll records. The 2)07 roll lists surnames alphabetically by state so it would be easy to get a list of all Howes/Howse and House with their addresses. This could assist in contacting these people to promote website??? I also have access to a range of BDM, cemetery and other records through my membership of the Victorian State Library & the Genealogical Society of Victoria. Let me know your thoughts.