Hawse of Long Sutton

mardler
Site Admin

Hawse of Long Sutton

Post by mardler »

This message was sent to me earlier this year by Doreen. I'm posting this and subsequent correspondence here with her permission.

I am sending you this message for two reasons. I have just come across your board for Charles Robert Hawes born about 1830 you have got at Long Sutton Lincs but this is my husbands ggrandfather and he was born in Norfolk to Sarah Jane Hawes that brings me to the second question I am trying to find Sarahs father Mark Hawse who married Sarah Roberts at Hethersett in about 1788.I have tried everywhere without succsess I do have imformation regarding Sarah and Charles family which I would glagly pass on to anyone so please if there is anyone who can help me as it is driving me mad!
Doreen
mardler
Site Admin

Re: Hawse of Long Sutton

Post by mardler »

Thank you Doreen and hello. Appreciate your note.

Neither I nor my cousin Ian can find the Charles Robert born in Norfolk, though we can clearly see Robert in 1861 and Charles in 1871 with the census in those years, but both of those say Lincolnshire. Where did you see the information saying he was born in Norfolk? We’re happy to help you if we can but like all good genealogists (we hope!) we like to work from something we know to start with.

Can’t easily see a Mark Hawse either, though he could well have pegged out before the 1841 census, and it’s the 7 censuses that we have used to form the basis of our files. Have you tried FreeReg? – see the links page on my site. What is it that connects Hethersett to Long Sutton and thus Mark as Charles Robert’s father? They are quite a long way apart from each other.

It’s interesting, isn’t it, that you have some people called Hawse the spelling of whose name evolved to Howse and Howes? It never occurred to me before but could the spelling have evolved so easily because they were pronounced the same way? I know some people called Hawes in Norwich but their name is pronounced to rhyme with “Laws”! Never occurred to me until I saw this that the “aw” might be pronounced like the "ow" in Cow or "ou" in house.

Regards
Paul
mardler
Site Admin

Re: Hawse of Long Sutton

Post by mardler »

Posted with Doreen's permission. Can anyone else help?
Hi Paul

Thankyou for your reply .I will try and explain how I got to my findings having said that I am probably way of course and would be grateful if you could let me know what you think .First of all I found Charles Hawes in the 1841 census at Shotesham St Mary and St Martin
Sarah Godbolt 33 ag lab
Levi 4
Charles Hawes 6
I have no idea where Charles was born I then found a Sarah Jane Hawes who married James Godbolt at Caister St Edmunds with Markshall 28th jan 1836 James died 1840
Sarah then married John Delahoy 9th July 1844 at Lutton church which is next to Long Sutton how or why she came to be there nobody knows. Sarah died 1849 so never appeared on any more census and Charles and Levi stayed with Delahoy . Getting back to Sarah I found a Sarah Jane Hawes born 14th aug 1810 and christened 26th aug at Heigham Norfolk father Mark Hawes Mother Sarah RobertsI assummed perhaps wrongly tht this was her.I then looked at the free reg and found a Mark Hawse who married a Sarah Roberts at Hethersett on31st March 1788 givig his parish as Taberham now knowing there is no such place I tried Taverham but with no luck .I have visited Nowich a couple of times but living in Lincolnshire and unable to drive rely on friends to bring me I did find children
Abraham christened 2nd nov 1789
William 17th may 1798
Eleanor 9th may 1798 at Drayton
Frances 17th july at St benedicts, Norwich all with father Mark and mother Sarah but I am sure there must be others somewhere I can find no trace of Mark or Sarah.
I do hope I have not confused you to much as I must admit to confusing myself with it all but any help or suggestions you have I would be most grateful

Doreen